[ZODB-Dev] Data.fs Scanning for Virus

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu May 6 14:31:04 EDT 2004

[Sajan Varghese]
>    I have a setup in Windows 2000 with Zope 2.7 and Plone 1.0,5  ,
> How do I scan the ZODB that is Data.fs for particular Virus Infected
> File Uploaded ..
>
>   Is there any ZODB based Antivrus available , Which Deletes only the
> Virus Infected File from ZODB Data.fs File

I don't mean to be flippant, but how do you scan other things on your
Win2000 box for viruses?  It's much better to avoid putting an infected file
into ZODB to begin with -- just like it's much better to avoid putting an
infected file into Oracle to begin with, or into any other database system.

Once it's in ZODB, your job is bound to be much harder.  I haven't heard of
anything that scans FileStorage-format files for viruses.  "Removing a file"
from ZODB isn't easy even if you can recognize that it's infected, because
you also need to remove all references *to* the file object elsewhere in the
database (and there must be at least one:  every object in ZODB is reachable
from "the root" object -- ZODB isn't like a tarball, the contents of a ZODB
database are interrelated).

In short, don't think of this as a ZODB question and I expect you'll make
better progress.  You should try to catch infected files the instant they
appear on your machine.  They don't show up in ZODB unless you commit a
transaction that adds them to ZODB.