[ZODB-Dev] Online Backup , in Windows 2000 Server

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue May 11 13:54:13 EDT 2004

Sajan Varghese wrote at 2004-5-11 16:49 +0530:
>   I doing my deployement in Windows 2000 Server , I am using Zope 2.7 and
>Plone 1.0.5 , with some Products of Plone .
>
>  Now , I have tested in Windows 2000 , Online Backup of the Var Folder or
>the Data.fs doesnt , work , I have read many mail list that in linux does an
>online backup.

It would work iff Windows would let you copy open files...

Apparently, there are some tricks to do this: MS Word appears to be able
to read file which are currently under work.

>  Is there a solution for Online Backup of the Data.fs or Var Folder ,
>without Data loss or corruption in Windows 2000 .

One possibility would be to use whatever trick is necessary
to read and copy an opened file.

Another one: tell Zope to pack its database (you can do this
via an HTTP request, e.g. with Python's "urllib" or with
"ZPublisher.Client"). When packing is complete, backup
"Data.fs.old".

>Secound One
>
>Is there any way I can limit a Plone Site Growth say , plan 4 GB for a Site
>and so on... , Then I can extent it once it reaches that limit

There is a "PartitionedStorage" (or similar) around.
It allows you to partition a "FileStorage" over several files.

However, I do not know whether it allows you to do what you want.
And I do not understand why you want it...

--
Dieter