[ZODB-Dev] Site crash and Data.fs truncated

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon May 24 23:15:09 EDT 2004

[Ramon Aseniero]
> Could this be a bug in Zope?

I suppose, but I'm not aware of other reports like yours.  Perhaps someone
else is, though.  It could also be a bug in your OS, platform C libraries, a
bad disk, a flaky memory chip, the result of a system crash or power outage,
etc etc -- there's just not info to say.  As suggested, did you look in your
Zope (and possibly ZEO) log files for clues?  As I said last time, the .tr0
file is a consequence of *earlier* damage.  It could even result from kill
-9'ing a previous Zope seesion instead of shutting it down cleanly, while a
transaction is in the process of being committed.

> I am currently running zope 2.6.4 (source release, python 2.1, linux2),
> python 2.2.3, linux2) on Debian.

I'm not sure what listing both Python 2.1 and 2.2.3 means.  Anyone else out
there suffering FileStorage truncation under Zope 2.6.4?

> Could this be also due to a memory leak on my code?

What kind of code?  If you're writing C extensions, anything's possible.  If
you're writing Python code, it's very unlikely you could damage an .fs file
(unless you're mucking with the .fs file directly in your code).  Simply
leaking memory won't damage files, unless perhaps you leak so much memory
that your process aborts.