[ZODB-Dev] ZEO client hangs when combined with other asyncore code

Stephen Masterman stephenmasterman at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 21 11:54:55 EDT 2005

Hi,
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:37:34 +0200, zodb at bootsch.demon.nl said:
> Dear people,
>

> We have an application that makes use of a ZEO client and has other async
> socket code

> Somehow, a call to the ZEO client never returns, it just hangs and sits
> there.

Just a stab in the dark, but forget the async code for a minute. Have
you tried just making the simplest possible connection from ZEO client
to the server (across the network, I presume)? For example, at the
interactive Python interpreter create a connection instance and see if
you can get something from the root object.

I once had what might have been a similar problem. ZEO clients on the
same machine as the server worked fine but when the client was on a
different machine I could sort of conenct but never got any response. Or
rather, the client would hang indefinitely when I tried to connect.
(Can't remember what the ZEO server log said.) I seem to recall that it
had something to do with the server configuration and the fact that I
was binding to 127.0.0.1 when I needed to bind to 192.whatever in order
for remote machines to complete a request. Something like that.

Anyway, your problem may have nothing to do with the details of your
application if something like this is happening, so you should verify
that you can successfully connect at all.