[ZODB-Dev] Handling more databases with zeo

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Jun 30 15:01:28 EDT 2005

Jeremy Hylton wrote at 2005-6-29 15:31 -0400:
>The benefit is that you get to run
>several storages using a single ZEO server process and TCP port.  It's
>probably not a good idea to use a single process for many servers,
>although it might be convenient to use a single port.

Maybe, I can provide a use case:

  We have a content management system on top of Zope/CMF/ZEO.

  For easier backup and recovery, the total data (in the order
  of several 10 GB) is distributed over about a dozen self
  contained storages.

  We have a high availability cluster with 4 ZEO services,
  each with its ZEO server. The HA software periodically
  probes its services, restarts them if they do not respond
  in time and, if necessary, moves them to a different cluster node.

  On the average, each ZEO server is responsible for about 4
  storages, although some have a single one while others have
  much more.

Thus, for us, it is quite natural to have a ZEO server be responsible
for several storages.

Of course, we will find a solution should you decide to remove
the feature (then a ZEO cluster service would no longer consists
of a single ZEO process but of several; probing and configuration
would become more complex), but, for us, it is nice as it is now :-)

--
Dieter