[ZODB-Dev] Tracking down a freeze (deadlock?)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Mar 3 12:54:32 EST 2005

Jeremy Hylton wrote at 2005-3-2 13:33 -0500:
>I recall talking about years ago.  At the time, I think we didn't want
>to support __del__ because it semantics were unclear in the face of
>persistence.

I do not think that "__del__" (at least with its current semantics)
is useful for persistent classes.

The only use case I can think of is to clean up non-persistent resources
associated with the instance. However, the corresponding attributes
(they need to be volatile) are usually already lost when the "__del__"
is called (by a preceeding invalidation).

However, deadlocking (or looping indefinitely) is not
the right way to flag an unuseful feature (such as "__del__"
in a persistent class). It is far too difficult to track
down the cause of the deadlocking/spinning.

--
Dieter