[ZODB-Dev] what could cause this kind of cache corruption?

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Mon Aug 11 10:05:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 09:37 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2008, at 4:03 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

> >> I'm not familiar with Christians patches. If they are bug fixes, they
> >> could make it into 3.8.  I plan to include Shane's patches in 3.9.
> >> I'm
> >> not sure when there will be a stable release of 3.9.
> >
> > My patches aren't bug fixes and the plan was never to include them to
> > ZODB 3.8.
> >
> > However, I was hoping for inclusion of at least the
> > `storage-iterator-branch` in 3.9 and I asked a few times over the past
> > months already for review but haven't gotten any responses at all so
> > far. This branch has been used in production for a few month already.
>
> I haven' t had time to review this yet.  I'll get to it eventually.
> I'm sure I'll get to it before 3.9 is released.

\o/

> > In addition there's the `bushy-directory` branch which introduces a
> > new
> > blob directory structure to avoid scalability issues with filesystems
> > like ext2/3 that only accept limited numbers of entries in a
> > directory.
>
> Hm, this sounds like a bug fix if it prevents failures.

It is. We ran into a failure on a production system that ran ext(2|3).

> > This branch is being used in production but needs a little which
> > should
> > happen in the next days. (The packing is reported to block.)
>
> Is the packing blockage unique to this branch?

Blocking currently happens on both trunk and 3.8.

> > At last there's a small `ctheune-betterimport` branch which fixes ZEXP
> > import for weakref objects and has been sitting around for almost a
> > year
> > now too.
>

> Is this a bug fix for 3.8? Or a feature for 3.9?

I can't remember when 3.8 came out. Back than it was a feature. OTOH you
could call it a bugfix because you could create ZEXP files that could
never be imported again.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com