[ZODB-Dev] Fixing POSKeyErrors :-)

Binger David dbinger at mems-exchange.org
Thu Feb 14 07:21:20 EST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 11:28 PM, Paul Winkler wrote:

    (Jim wrote)
>> Catalogs and session data change much faster than content.  It
>> makes sense
>> to pack these more frequently.  On large system, it provides the
>> ability to
>> spread load over multiple servers, if necessary.
>
> Also, as I understand it, you can get more benefits from the "regular
> content" ZODB cache if you're not constantly moving tons of catalog
> data through it, so there's a performance win

It seems like all of these potential advantages are available through
the use of multiple storages, but none of them really require database-
level
support for cross-storage references.    On the other hand, it seems
clear that cross-storage references make the system as a whole
(software + people) less reliable.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but low-level cross-site references seem like
"secret"
weakrefs.  Maybe we'd be better off if they were explicit, higher-
level objects,
used and dereferenced intentionally where required.