[ZODB-Dev] Re: ZODB Benchmarks

Roché Compaan roche at upfrontsystems.co.za
Mon Feb 25 00:36:41 EST 2008

I made a "lovely" mistake in my first round of benchmarks. Lovely, in
that it puts the ZODB in a much better light. When I first ran the
Postgres test, I neglected to put an index on the key field of the
table. I only added the index before I timed lookups on Postgres but
forgot to retest insertion. Since the key in the ZODB is effectively
indexed I think the test is only fair if the corresponding key in
Postgres is indexed.

Retesting insertion of a million records into Postgres with the index on
the key field revealed that Postgres performance deteriorates
logarithmically at roughly the same rate as the ZODB. After about 10
million insertions the ZODB was doing 250 inserts per second. After
adding the index on the table, Postgres was doing only slightly better
but not above 300 inserts per second.

I'll update my blog post with the final stats and let you know when it
is ready.

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                   http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za