[ZODB-Dev] The database root: It's a trap!

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed May 12 16:53:27 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 20:16 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
> >> C. I'd really like to be able to configure what the root object is as
> >> database creation time. That way it can be application specific.
> >
> > That sounds reasonable, but doesn't address the default behavior.
>
> Default would be an OOBTree for me...
>
> Scales, no thinking or scary warnings required :-)

I'm not sure that any particular default root object is going to solve
this problem, because they're just going to put a dictionary into one of
its keys and hurt themselves that way.  I think the idea of a warning
when a record exceeds a given size would be more generally helpful,
although that of course doesn't prohibit using a different root too.

- C