[ZODB-Dev] read-only database

Nathan Van Gheem vangheem at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:24:36 EDT 2010

> Can you rephrase that with fewer "not"s?  I'm not quite sure what you're
> asking...
:) Yes. We would like our read-only zodb to still serve pages even if
plone tries to write to the database. Basically, we'd like to suppress
the read-only errors you get when you try to write to a read-only
database.

> It would be much safer to fix Zope/Plone application than to monkey
> around with silently working around the readonly aspects of the
> database. especially since you are already putting the database
> into a readonly mode.
> again, we are doing this fine in production.  so it must be something
> in your application causing writes.
We've seen issues where a scale wasn't generated for some reason,
archetypes trying to write a field value when calling the get
accessor, writes occurring when simply calling context.objectValues()
and other ones I haven't figured out yet. They aren't on a majority of
the pages, but it's enough to be very annoying.

Even if we were able to fix everything, I'd still rather not wait for
us to find something else that is a problem.

Thanks for the discussion though. I appreciate the feedback.

-Nathan