[Zope-Annce] October 25th Zope Weekly News

emf mindlace@digicool.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:49:18 -0400

Thanks to community reviewers of the Zope Book, Zope has a
Process, Replicating ZEO Servers, XHTML comingles with HiperDOM,
and silly cloak and daggers stuff, all in this week's ZWN.

The opinions expressed in Zope Weekly news are solely the authors',
and not the opinions of Digital Creations, The Zope Community
at-large, or the Spanish Inquisition.

If you or your company are doing something cool with zope,
"submit it to the Zope Weekly News",
   mailto:zope-web@zope.org
for possible inclusion.

And Now For Something Completely Different:

<hr NOSHADE SIZE="0" WIDTH=95%>

Documentation

  by Michel Pelletier

   No time really to write a comprehensive report, we're in the final
crunch!
  I would however like to take a moment to recognize our official
community
  technical reviewers:

    o Tom Deprez

    o Dwayne Morrison

    o Kathy Hester

    o Michael Bernstein

    o Bill Anderson

    o Tom Deprez

  Thanks to everyone who volunteered to become an O'Reilly reviewer.  We
wish
  we could have picked you all; everyone was very qualified.
  Screenshots are one their way!

---

Zope Status

  by Brian Lloyd

 Summary

  Projects and Process

 Recent News

  Last week saw some new active projects added to dev.zope.org.
  Jeffrey Shell's "Write Locking" project will add some missing
  infrastructure to support DAV-aware Web tools that require DAV
  locking support on the server.

  Jim Fulton added the "ZEO Storage Replication" project, which
  will allow "distributed commit" and prevent ZEO storage servers
  from being a single point of failure. If you enjoy playing in the
  deep end of the pool, check this project out! :^)

  The project formerly known as "XHTMLTemplates" has now been changed
  to "HiperDom Templates" in the active projects area - Hiperlogica
  will be taking the lead on this and we at DC will be working closely
  with them to put this project on the fast track. Zopistas interested
  in this project to add XMLC-like templating to Zope should visit the
  new HiperDom development home and get their licks in now while the
  requirements are being formalized.

  Though I talked about this last week, Michel has released alpha one
  of the "upcoming Zope book",

    http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/

  Now is the time to get him your feedback. Documentation has been an
  albatross for Zope for a long time and this book is a huge opportunity
  to rectify that - please do your part in making it the best it can be
  by taking an early look and contributing your thoughts or concerns!

 Near Future

  I have a todo list for a 2.2.3 release (expect that in the next
  few weeks). Work will also be proceeding on several of the items
  on the Zope 2.3 plan (which is available on dev.zope.org).

  We have also recently done an internal review of how things have
  been going on dev.zope.org and identified some general problems
  that we want to fix. A big one is the difficulty of finding out
  what is going on and what the status of various things are "at a
  glance". Lisa Reushling who recently joined the DC team will be
  working on streamlining the site and the process on dev.zope.org.

---

Zope Web

  -- by Ethan Fremen

 Mission Quite Improbable

  I am deeply engaged in a stealth mission. I could tell
  you more, but then I'd have to kill you.

-EOT-