[Zope-Annce] September 6th Zope Weekly News

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Wed, 06 Sep 2000 04:27:58 -0400

Merely 4 hours past the deadline, the Zope Weekly News
lands with a heaping helping of goodies: Rapid
Zope Book evolution, lots of fish in the bowl,
Zope skin, PTK proliferation, and Zope.org replication.

The opinions expressed in Zope Weekly news are solely the authors',
and not the opinions of Digital Creations, The Zope Community
at-large, or the Spanish Inquisition.

You can always get to the most recent Zope Weekly News
with "one convenient URL",
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZWN/current

And Now For Something Completely Different:

<hr NOSHADE SIZE="0" WIDTH=95%>

Documentation

  -- by Michel Pelletier

  This week (a shorty due to Labor day) Amos and I are polishing up
  spelling, added image and figure semantics to structured text (and
  extended the HTML and SGML generators to spit them out, yum!).
  Normalized all the font and style conventions, and started on chapter
  1 screenshots.  Yeah!  I fleshed out a lot of Chapter 9 (Cataloging)
  also. As always, you can "see the latest and greatest version",

  http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/

<hr NOSHADE SIZE="0" WIDTH=95%>

Zope Status

  -- by Brian Lloyd

Summary

  Zope 2.2.1 release, progress on dev.zope.org projects

Recent highlights

  ZWN has been spotty lately so to recap, Zope 2.2.1 was released
  August 25th. Lots and lots of bugs were fixed for 2.2.1, and it
  seems to have covered the issues that were keeping people from
  moving to 2.2. There have been two reported problems with custom
  ZClasses after updating to 2.2.1, but we have not been able to
  reproduce them and they do not seem to be a general problem.

  There has been a fair amount of activity on dev.zope.org, with
  a number of new proposals for things such as session tracking
  and a unit testing support framework. Chris McDonough gets the
  prolific-proposal-writer-of-the-week award :) The new security
  assertion proposal has been made into an active project, and
  the first draft of the first deliverable (the Zope developer's
  guide to product security) is "available for review and feedback",

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/DeclarativeSecurity/ZopeSecurityForDevelopers

  There are also a number of proposal where discussion seems to have
  petered out - we'll need to start looking at these over time and
  decide how to either get champions to refine them and move them
  forward or put them in some sort of proposal archive.

  In other news, FourThought continues to work on the new
  XMLDocument and will shortly be starting on the XSL Templates
  project.

This week

  This week we will be starting to firm up a todo list for the next
  Zope feature release and trying to get the declarative security
  "user manual" finalized - after that we'll begin implementing the
  new assertion style for the next feature release.

<hr NOSHADE SIZE="0" WIDTH=95%>

Zope Studio

  -- by Martijn Pieters

  Zope Studio

  Due to other project work, no news this week

Skinnable And Localizable Objects

  After two weeks of holidaying in Scotland, I am back at the keys.

  Week of 13-08

    - Architecture finalised.

    - Implemented all core objects and code.

    - Made practically all of Zope Skinnable

  This Week

    - Add some code to make skinned files in Zope Core more backward
      compatible.

    - Clean up last few objects with recalcitrant, inline DTML, and make
      then Skinnable.

    - Split out all strings to make Zope fully translatable.

<hr NOSHADE SIZE="0" WIDTH=95%>

State of the PTK, 2000/09/04

 In the weeks since our last report, the PTK community has been
 quite busy:

   * Shane Hathaway landed the proposed "next-generation architecture",
      http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/NewPTKArchitecture,
     refactoring the "toolkit" as a set of "portal tools", each
     providing services to other objects in the portal.  The tools
include:

      'portal_membership' -- tracks personalization and owned content,
        tying them (much more loosely) to the AUTHENTICATED_USER.

      'portal_registration' -- implements portal-specific policies for
user
        signup, password generation/mailng, etc.

      'portal_workflow' -- encapsulates the workflow policies of the
portal

      'portal_catalog' -- indexes portal content

      'portal_discussions' -- implements portal policies for types of
        content which are "discussable", and how they are linked to
        their discussion threads.

      'portal_actions'  -- list context-specific actions for portal
objects.

      'portal_undo' -- provide a portal-friendly interface to Zope's
undo
        machinery.

     Each of these tools is represented as an interface in the 'PTKBase'
     product, with a sample implementation (typically preserving the
"old"
     policies/semantics) in the 'PTKDemo' or 'DemoPortal' products.  The
     single most attractive feature of the design is that portal
managers
     can replace these tools on a *per-portal basis*.

   * Fabio Forno provided invaluable aid in debugging the new tools.

   * One noticeable result of the new architecture is the "renaming of
      the toolbox",
       http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-ptk/2000-August/001341.html
      to the "actions list", in order to avoid confusion with the
"portal
      tools."

   * Bill Anderson "released a new version",
      http://www.zope.org/Members/Bill/News/MembershipRelease-075
      of the Membership product, upgrading it to "beta" status.  This
      product uses ZPatterns to manage member registration and logins,
      and is on a trajectory for eventual reintegration with the
      new PTK Architecture.

   * Chris Withers announced "Swishdot",
      http://www.squishdot.org/968089230/index_html, a successor to
     the popular Squishdot weblog product, to be built around the
     PTK.

   * Tres Seaver "proposed",
      http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-ptk/2000-August/001430.html
      revamping the implementation of the Dublin Core metadata
      within the PTK, in order to bring it closer into line with
      the intent of the "spec":http://purl.org/DC.

   * A "long thread",
     http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-ptk/2000-August/001461.html
     on "hooking" various portal actions resulted in a "proposal",
      http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-ptk/2000-August/001493.html
     to create an "event channel" object, 'portal_events', as another
     tool.

PTK Tracker Vitals, 2000/09/04 (since 2000/07/25)

 Here is is the current state of the tracker::

  Type / Status   New     Closed     Current

    Bug Reports     5          3         26

    Feature/Doc
       Requests    0         0           14

<hr NOSHADE SIZE="0" WIDTH=95%>

Zope Web

  -- by Ethan Fremen

  ZEO Bakes in Zope.org Oven

   ZEO is being cooked with Zope.org.  This has unfortunately
   endengered some downtime, as ZEO bugs step out from hiding.
   The bonus is that Zope.org should be much more stable when
   this is done, and ZEO users get the benifit of a ZEO that's
   been put through it's paces.

  The Caching Machine

   Zope.org now has its images and files cached by Apache
   and any downstream cache that cares to do so.  This should
   result in a much faster apparent speed for Zope.org,
   though we can expect that raw hit-count (as measured by
   Apache) may decline.  Stay tuned for the How-To.

  Go Forth and Multiply

   Zope.org is going to be getting a new ZEO client on a
   geographically remote machine.  Once this is tested and
   solid, Zope.org mirroring will expand to several clients
   in strategic spots throughout the globe.  Watch
   this space for more details.

  Distributed Decision Making

   As a necessary precursor stage for a more active involvement
   of the community, messages to webmaster@zope.org and issues
   posted in the "zope.org Tracker",

   http://www.zope.org/Tracker

   will be sent to the zope web mailing list.
   Hope to see you there!

-EOT-