[Zope-Annce] May 26th Zope Weekly News

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Sat, 26 May 2001 00:20:00 -0400

Follow-up last week's threads, Page Templates is
at 1.3.1, yet another way to talk to your zope,
2.4 alpha early next week, and no html mail in this
week's ZWN.

The opinions expressed in Zope Weekly News are solely the authors',
and not the opinions of Digital Creations, The Zope Community
at-large, or the Spanish Inquisition.

If you or your company are doing something cool with zope,
"submit it to Zope Weekly News",
mail:zope-web@zope.org
for possible inclusion.

-----

Upcoming Events

 EuroZope Conference

  The EuroZope crew is organizing a two
  day Zope only conference in Berlin on the 12th
  and 13th of July.

  Those interested in participating should join the
  discussion on the "EuroZope mailinglist",
  http://www.comlounge.net/mailman/listinfo/eurozope

-----

Page Templates -- by Evan Simpson

  Page Templates are now at version 1.3.1, and should be used with
  TAL 1.3 and ZTUtils 1.0.  They are compatible with Zope 2.3.x and
  can also use the Restricted Python machinery that will be introduced
  in Zope 2.4.

  Based on a survey of ZPT mailing list subscribers, a number of minor
  changes were made to expression syntax.  There is now a
  PageTemplateFile class, and it is used to implement the Page
  Template add and edit pages.  Python expressions can use path
  expressions (and other expression types) through builtin functions
  named after each type, as in "python:path('x/y | a/b') + 1".

  There aren't any changes on the drawing board at the moment, so it's
  time to buckle down and write some more documentation.

-----

101 ways to talk to your Zope

  Last week, I talked about different ways to talk to your zope.
  I forgot to mention
  "zopeshell":http://www.zope.org/Members/sf/zopeshell
  , a shell like utility that acts as a unix cli to
  manipulate your zope.

-----

Biggest vs. Longest

  There's been some discussion of which zope has been up the longest on the
  Zope list as well as ZopeZen.  Looks like the current record is
  "149 days":http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/msg/zope-List:540619

  Tim Cook has zope running on an "IBM S/390":http://32.97.40.47:8080/
serving
  his Free Practice Management solution for doctors, which, until I hear
otherwise,
  is the biggest hardware running Zope.

  As a side note, you really don't want to be there when PythonLabs folks
  start comparing dicts...

-----

Zope Status

  by Brian Lloyd

Summary

  On the brink of 2.4 alpha

Recent News

  We were planning for a Zope 2.4 alpha the week of May 21, but
  as of this writing it looks like it will actually be early
  next week (the week of the 28th), as there are still a few
  loose ends to follow up. You can look at
  the 2.4 plan to "follow the status of the 2.4 track",
  http://dev.zope.org/Resources/zope_240_plan.html

  The "Zope CVS Migration",
  http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZopeCVSMigration/
  has unfortunately not gotten the attention that it needs this
  week - I hope to rectify that next week.

-----

Biggest & Longest

  Tim Cook, not willing to settle for having Zope on the biggest
  hardware, had to have the longest running zope, as well -
  182 days as of May 23.  Congrats, Tim!

-----

Zope Web

   by Ethan Fremen

   "Zope.org enhancement",

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZopeOrgCollaborationEnhancement

    I've done a lot of work on the use cases, so if you want to see how
    you would use the new zope.org, come take a look!

   Kill HTML Mail

    Everyone, by a 6:1 margin, wants html mail to be rejected.
    I will spend some time working on making mail that has HTML
    attachments be either refused with a message to the sender
    indicating the lists don't accept html mail, or have
    the html part stripped off.  The former is more likely.

-EOT-