[Zope-Annce] zyp (zyp yellow pages) initial release

Jens Wolk jewo_lists@gmx.de
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 04:10:17 +0200

Dear Zope community,

I am proud to announce the initial release of zyp (zyp yellow pages).

- Purpose: create a yellow pages site based on CMF / Zope.
- Tested against: CMF-1.2 / Zope-2.5.1
- Project's home page including tarballs, CVS repository and Mailing Lists:
  http://www.sourceforge.org/projects/zyp
- Test site: http://zyp.dyndns.org:8080/zyp
  (most of the test data is in German - don't hesitate to add content
   in your favorite language)
- License: GPL

The idea behind zyp is that a Manager designs a structure of "CMF zyp
Category" (folderish) objects. In addition, he/she can define "CMF zyp
Category Link" objects which point from a "CMF zyp Category" object to
another "CMF zyp Category" object.

Members of a CMF site can than add "CMF zyp Entry" and "CMF zyp Address"
objects in their Member folder. For each "CMF zyp Entry" object a Member
defines links to "CMF zyp Category" objects in which the entry will be
listed.

A possibly interesting feature is that the above mentioned links won't break
if the linked object is moved within the CMF site. This is done by
introducing a universal zid which identifies an object independently of its
location in the site.
(Thanks for the code snippets to alex.khan, see
http://www.zope.org/Members/alex.khan/GlobalSystemId?pp=1
... if anybody knows how I can contact him, please let me know, because I am
unsure, if I am allowed to use his code ...)

Planned:
- Ranking of the most visited entries / categories
- Banners
- Contacts (analogous to Addresses)
- Articles on a per category base
- invoicing for entries and banners based on click-throughs
  and/or page impressions

Any comments, hints, critizim and encouragement are very welcome. You may
contact me at zyp@jenswolk.de

Yours, Jens Wolk