[Zope-Annce] ZooDocument 1.0 released

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp@weitershausen.de
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 18:22:27 +0100

Hello everybody,

the software developer who brought you RoboCage and STXDocument is now
proud to release ZooDocument 1.0.

ZooDocument is a Zope product that integrates OpenOffice.org documents
into ZPT based Zope sites.

"But OpenOffice.org supports HTML export of all document types. So why
this product?", you may ask. Here's my answer:

Imagine a scenario where people not knowing anything about HTML are
trying to publish their text documents. Most probably, they will use the
HTML export feature of their favourite text processor which produces
crappy HTML. That both doesn't validate and is hard to change manually.
Now these people put their crappy HTML in Page Templates which. They
errors because a </p> is missing. The people will end up with a lot of
frustation and you will end up with a lot of phone calls...

Admittedly, a complicated text document converted by ZooDocument still
looks like it's been created by a program. However, it is *much* easier
to edit manually since everything is indented the way it should be.
Secondly, it definitely validates, not only for ZPT but also for the W3C
validator. As a bonus, it makes heavy use of style sheets, thus
separating content and presentation even at that level.

ZooDocument is released under the terms of the Mozilla Public License. I
encourage everyone to try it out and maybe even use it in your site or
parts of it in your product. When you do, tell me how it worked for you!

Download it at:
http://www.zope.org/Members/philikon/ZooDocument

Cheers,

Phil