[Zope-PTK] PTK CVS Structure

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 08:30:15 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:

> Slightly off topic, but CVS related, has anyone managed to checkout out
> a tag from the CVS? (more specifically, one they've created)
> I haven't tried recently, but I seem to remember this just chucked up
> CVS errors...

The PTK CVS is somewhat anomalous:

 - PTK is the only project which currently allows checkins on
   cvs.zope.org.

 - Its code sits "inside" the same repository used by the main Zope CVS.

 - The main Zope CVS is replicated from our internal CVS repository
   using a fairly frequent cron job;  in particular, this replication
   replaces the CVSROOT/val-tags file.

 - The PTK CVS is *not* replicated from the internal CVS:  i.e., the
   CVS on cvs.zope.org is the only repository for it.

 - The replication of the CVSROOT accounting machinery for the "main"
   repository wipes out any tags added to the CVSROOT/val-tags file
   (the PTK repository files still have the tags, but they can't be
   checked out unless the tag is in CVSROOT/val-tags).

 - Ergo, one *can* tag files in the PTK CVS;  one can even check out the
   repository using those tags, up until the next time the cron job wipes
   the newly-minted tag from the face of the planet.

I believe that these anomalies are due to be addressed as a prerequisite
to allowing checkin access to the community;  I don't know anything about
the schedule for doing the fix.

Tres Seaver                          tseaver@digicool.com
Digital Creations   "Zope Dealers"   http://www.zope.org