[Zope-PTK] Retro-GUI Widgets

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:31:24 -0500

>Chris Beaumont wrote:
>
>excuse me for butting in.. I wasnt really follwing the earlier
>discussion, but I do know a bit about this..
>
>Would this work with a single *resized* single pixel transparent GIF for
>all of the spacer instances..  (you probably dont need as many as you
>specify..) instead of the "spacer" tag?
>
>I have found that to be a universally functional spacer in almost all
>situations..

Correct, you can use single pixel images as backgrounds in table cells, and
you can even generate them programmatically, and/or using something like
PIL. Another advantage is that images would be cached, being discrete files,
reducing some download time.  Rendering images in table cells is a v.3
generation feature in Netscape and Explorer, if memory serves, so that's
good backward coverage, certainly.

On the other hand, there's some accumulating overhead in all of that too, so
it winds up being a trade-off, like most things.

This is just an example of a very simple approach that can give users back a
bit of control over their browser ("What color is your portal-chute?") with
minimal coding (hex math) and very deep backward compatibility.

Later,
Jerry S.