[Zope-PTK] Member Publishing

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:39:52 -0500

Shane wrote:

> It's been in the plan for a while to create a portal_workflow object
> that would allow a manager to create and configure a state machine.  But
> you could do even more if:
>
>  - the portal_workflow object were allowed complete control over the
> "workflow_status" attribute of all portal content.  The portal content
> would be ignorant of its own workflow status.

Sort of like an employee in a mulitnational corporation . . .

> - you could have multiple state machines and you could assign state
> machines to meta types.

a state machine for each type o' meta type?

> - permissions were assigned to transitions.

access by workflow state, rather than by object id?

> - all protected actions on an object, including those that don't
> change the object's workflow status, were protected by transitions
> rather than permissions.  (Otherwise the number of necessary permissions
> explodes quickly.)

internal combustion, by any other name . . .

> - objects could participate in multiple state machines (workflows)
> simultaneously, making substates possible.

transitions triggering transactions?

> Very hot stuff.  I can't wait to see how it will all work.

I'll say. So, does the local electric utility, like, pay Digital Creations
for all the energy leaking out of that place? I hope the new offices are
made of flame retardant materials!

I need to sit down now,
Jerry S.