[Zope-PTK] Re: Properties of users

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 16:27:06 -0500

I've moved this to the PTK list to protect the innocents over on the zope
list :)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip J. Eby" <pje@telecommunity.com>
To: "Kevin Dangoor" <kid@kendermedia.com>; <zope@zope.org>; "Diego Dainese"
<xdsi@xddainese.unive.it>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Is e-commerce feasible with Zope?

> At 11:02 AM 2/8/00 -0500, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
> >
> >The new user objects will have propertysheets, and that would likely be
the
> >way to go.
> >

> Well, they will if Ty and I can figure out how to do them properly, or
> someone else volunteers to do it.  :)  Unfortunately, as best as I can
tell
> there are two semi-compatible models in Zope for what propertysheets
*are*,
> and it's not clear what exactly we should implement for the user objects.
> I don't really want to create a *third* model.  :(

I assume you're talking about the Folder sort of propertysheet and the
ZClass version of propertysheets. Having done a lot of work with ZClasses,
I'm inclined for propertysheets for users to be ZClass-like. In other words,
all users have properties that are defined at the top level with default
values. I don't think I'd want to go to Joe User and add a property "foo" to
that one user. I'd be more likely to add a feature that I want to
enable/disable for everyone initially and would want a property added to
everyone.

That seems like it may be somewhat of a pain to implement, because users
aren't ZClasses... but, you've looked at the source more than I have :)

Are users going to be Folderish? Or, will people just make a separate Folder
for storing their personal stuff. I'm thinking that I would like to store a
user's shopping cart/wish list in their own area, as well as some kind of
order summary objects to store their order history...

Kevin