[Zope-PTK] hats off

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:37:42 -0500

Tres Seaver wrote:
> I haven't looked yet at the demo CD -- perhaps my stuff is redundant.  Anyway, I
> can't host it under the PTK until CodeIt upgrades their Zopes to 2.1.x (and I'd
> have to buy more space from them, no doubt). ;)  Somebody needs to work on a
> program, using ZClient and callable from procmail, to invoke the
> manage_addMessage on the appropriate folder when mail comes in, too.

Here are a couple of things that I'd like to see most:

1) Recovery.  Quite often the procmail xml-rpc client or the Zope server
will have some interruption in service.  There needs to be some kind of
logic for each side to discover the gaps/overlaps in service and make
_absolutely_ certain there is a one-one correspondence in message ids
between client and server.

2) A published interface for xml-rpc.  We could then just setup a
"network service" for mailing lists, both for loading and performing
searches.

3) Scalability.  When Jens did the CD app, he loaded over 17,000
messages from 1999's Zope list. When you clicked on the folder and Zope
tried to send the contents of 17,000 items back, the HTML was enormous
(and the DTML took forever to render).  He solved this by arbitrarily
spreading the items over 100 subfolders.  However, there needs to be
some better subfoldering scheme (perhaps to the day?).

As for a hosting site, if this thing _really_ does work correctly in a
hands-off way, and has a number of management features to find things
that are wrong and correct them, then we'll gladly host it on zope.org.

--Paul