[Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:20:11 -0500

Chip Vanek wrote:
> I very much agree with your comment about URL stability.  I kind
> of like the present PTK way because the author of the information
> has the items local to them.  Now when these people leave or are
> aged off the system the problems begin.  These could be moved to
> a central archive and redirects added as part of the user delete
> process.

Why?  If you delete the member, the member folder is still there.

> I liked content stating in a users home folder, partially because of
> my inability to yet figure out how to safely write a file remote
> folder and partially because I liked the idea of authors owning
> their output.  The catalog seems like a reasonable way to find
> all the items wereever they are on the site, assuming it scales.

Right.

> >The key to putting an object in another Folder is that you've
> >got to have
> >permission to create that kind of object in that Folder. If
> >you want the
> >ability for a user to add something without having that permission
> >themselves, you use a "proxy role". This is what KM|Net News does. The
> >AddArticle method has a proxy role of Manager, so anyone can
> >add an article
> >using that method.
>
> That makes sense but dosn't the object take on the proxy role as
> creator?  Can the original author still edit it?

I assume that will be the dominant pattern, though it doesn't have to
be.  Lotus Notes has a built-in role for people that can create things,
but not edit/update them.

--Paul