[Zope-PTK] Preferences problem

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:48:32 +0100

At 9:52 Uhr -0500 23.02.2000, geek@geekme.org wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Jochen Haeberle wrote:
>
>  > At 17:59 Uhr -0800 22.02.2000, J C Lawrence wrote:
>  > >Given a freshly installed demo portal, attempting to enter
>  > >"Preferences" from the nav bar gets:
>  > >
>  > >   Error Type: AttributeError
>  > >   Error Value: email
>
>  > This happens because the portal creation wizard does not ask you for
>  > the eMail address of the first portal manager. You need to go to the
>  > management interface and edit this user there.
>
>     I'm having trouble reproducing this.  In fact, I'm not certain this is
>the problem.  I agree that the wizard should ask for the email address
>(I've just made the change locally) but I have a feeling that what's
>happened is you've tried to use the 'Preferences' option while logged in
>as a user from the root acl_users user folder, such as the superuser.
>This user obviously won't have the properties that Preferences
>sets.  You need to log in as a Portal member (such as the manager account
>you created in the Portal wizard) for it to work.  Can you verify for me
>that this isn't (or is) what happened?

You are right, that's the problem. Obviously, after creating a portal
you are logged in as a manager. If these are your first steps with
the portal, you defenitely start playing around. I think the best
would be that the http_authenticated user would have no effect to the
portal authorized users, but as this seems to be a problem, I would
suggest that the wizard-finish page looks different, not like a
functioning portal or at least has an text explaining this situation.

>     I could make the Preferences page check to make sure you're a PTK
>member rather than just some Zope user, but there are lots of other places
>much the same thing could still happen.  Fixing Preferences specifically
>would be something of a band-aid.  I can't think of a way I could catch
>all of them in one place.  Suggestions?

Is there no way to separate portal users from Zope users? I guess
this would greatly help to solve the problems and get a better
understanding of what happens for content-manager-type portal admins.

I find it very disturbing at the moment and have problems switching
back and forth portal and management interface the only solution was
to use virtual hosting so the http-authentication is different.

I think it is not very zopic at the moment. the portal should in some
way acquire the users from above, mostly the superuser

Jochen