[Zope-PTK] Preferences problem

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:56:49 +0100

At 10:17 Uhr -0500 24.02.2000, Mike Pelletier wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Jochen Haeberle wrote:
>
>  > I think the best would be that the http_authenticated user would have
>  > no effect to the portal authorized users...
>
>     I disagree, I think this would be a Bad Thing, potentially a VERY bad
>thing.  It would affect both the portal interface and the Zope management
>interface.  I do agree that the caveats need to be make more visible in
>the Wizard's finish page.

I can't see why that should be a very bad thing. I do see however
that many people on this list have problem with the present situation
and get confused by the user diferences. I guess those problems will
grow very much when PTK is released and claims to be easy enough to
anyone to set up a portal...

I think there already is a big difference between portal users and
Zope users so seperating them totally would be as to go the full way.

>  > Is there no way to separate portal users from Zope users? I guess
>  > this would greatly help to solve the problems and get a better
>  > understanding of what happens for content-manager-type portal admins.
>
>     Can you elabotate in the idea of separation?

This would mean that when you enter the portal logged in as a Zope
user you will still be greated as a guest and have to log into the
portal.

>  > I find it very disturbing at the moment and have problems switching
>  > back and forth portal and management interface the only solution was
>  > to use virtual hosting so the http-authentication is different.
>
>     Not at all-- The account you set up when you create the portal has
>full management rights and can use the Zope management interface without
>resorting to playing tricks with the hostname.  It is more difficult if

I think the portal should be managed only through Wizards, so there
should be no need for content managers to log into Zope aka the
Management Interface. The problem mostly concerns developers and I
guess they can deal with beeing logged in as separate portal and zope
users.

>you want to manage other portions of your site at the same time, depending
>on your browser.  IE5 seems to do a better job of not sharing
>authentiction information between sessions if the sessions are launched
>separately.  (That is, don't clone the window with ^N.)
>
>     To be honest, I am reluctant to load the PTK up with authentication
>hacks to solve a deficiency of some browsers.

This is the way the browsers work today. The solution you suggest
only applies to the Win plattform - the Internet offers far more (and
better:) OSes.

But I can see your point to not overload the PTK!

>  > I think it is not very zopic at the moment. the portal should in some
>  > way acquire the users from above, mostly the superuser
>
>     The PTK _is_ acquiring users from above.  That's essentially where
>this problem comes from-- a non-PTK user is being accquired.  I think
>I'm not understanding you completely.  Feel free to try again.

Okay, that's what I meant... PTK acquires user from above which are
not suited for acquisition.

How about a wizard that builds a portal user with the missing
information? This way you could add that information missing from the
user in the portal where need arises. Even easier but perhaps not as
perfect as just adding the missing information would be to recreate
the user entirely.

The PTK could check if a user is a correct portal user or not and act
accordingly.

Jochen