[Zope-PTK] Catalog system

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:09:15 -0500

Mike Pelletier wrote:
>     I am planning to deviate from Zope.org's system of cataloging items.
> On Zope.org, when a catalog request is made the object is cataloged by the
> 'UnreviewedIndex' catalog.  When it is approved, it is removed from that
> catalog and placed in 'SiteIndex'.  Objects are not automatically
> cataloged anywhere.

To clarify: people have to ask that an object be registered in the
catalog.  Once it is registered, all subsequent changes are automatic.

>     I wish to have better access to all the objects on the portal as a
> manager.  I also want objects to have a history of their catalog requests
> and resolutions.

Also, the concept of "approval" should extend _not_ just to whether an
object is in the catalog and placed in other parts of the site, but also
whether its contents can be displayed.

>     In the system I plan to implement, all objects would be cataloged by

_Including_ the content of the objects?

> the master catalog on creation and each time they change.  Only managers
> should have permission to search this catalog.  When an object's catalog
> request gets approved, it is added to a public catalog.  As a possible
> embellishment, there could be additional public catalogs such as 'Editors
> Picks', or one for content suitable for children, or anonymous users, or
> paying users, or whatever.  There will be a property on the Member object
> which determines which catalog (possibly catalogs) the member is to use.

Ugh, multiple catalogs sounds fishy.

>     The actual [un]catalog interface and methods will be done in a ZClass,
> 'CatalogManager'?, which will be a component of each PortalContent
> object.  Each time the content changes, this class is notified so that it
> can decided whether the object should be updated in the catalogs, or
> perhaps removed from some catalogs as policy dictates.  It also records
> all changes in catalog states, all catalog requests, and all reviewer
> actions (including comments and correspondence).  I do not want the user to
> have to explicitly update the catalog, though they may have to issue a new
> request depending on the policy.
>
>     It is also intended that an object's cataloged status should inform
> it's security policies-- if an object you do not own is not cataloged in
> any catalogs you have access to, you cannot access that object.

Can you explain how this is better than the current implementation?

--Paul