[Zope-PTK] Catalog system

Mike Pelletier mike@metamike.net
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:52:35 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but Paul let me in :)

    Not at all, intrude all you like.  I can certainly use the input.

> The crux of my message was that News Items were different from regular items
> because they don't need to be "maintained" after they are created, and so on
> and so forth, touching upon exactly what you mention above. By eliminating
> the above possibilities for all items, I think it's fine for News to be
> treated like the rest...
>
>     With the exception that you probably don't want News Items to be deleted
> without manager approval, because they are quite possibly part of an RSS
> story flow that is showing up on sites all over the place, and you may not
> want the link to suddenly just go dead...

    Very good points, I had not even considered external syndication.  I
definitely see good reasons for wanting any changes made to News Items be
very apparent as changes, such as restricting the user to append-only
changes, if changes should be allowable at all.  The portal objects need
to be fleshed out considerably yet.

> This idea is nice, just as long as the version doesn't lock the whole
> catalog (as it does now).

    Indeed, I'm going to need to crack that nut sooner or later.

    Thanks for your encouragement!!

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228