[Zope-PTK] Publishing and expiration of content

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 06:48:00 -0500

Kevin Dangoor wrote:
> If release was in the index, you could certainly make that a condition of
> the Catalog query.

Perhaps it could be released for some audiences (roles) and not others.

> As you can see from the above, my implementation is quite simple. It may be
> possible to create a permission that is "View Unreleased/expired Documents"
> so that the administrators can easily choose which people can view content

Please keep thinking about this thread...

> that has not yet been released or has expired. Without a scheduler, I'm not
> sure if there's really any other way to make things automatically come and
> go on the site. Even with a scheduler, this may still be the best way to go.

These "heartbeats" are pretty easy to implement externally.  You can
either have a cron job or, as we looked at doing, add it to the shell
script that forks the zserver.  The heartbeat just makes an HTTP
connection at a regular interval.

> BTW, I use essentially the same technique for giveaways and specials on
> byproducts.com. There are hooks so that the event will automatically start
> and end at a specific time.

Got it.

--Paul