[Zope-PTK] Another use case for reviewing

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:23:14 -0500

    Thus far, all of the talk about reviewing of new content has centered
around people having documents that they are individually responsible for
and that live within their member folders. I could also see cases where
there are groups responsible for maintaining certain objects. Let's call it
the "IMDB model".

    The IMDB (http://www.imdb.com) contains quite a bit of information on
just about every movie imaginable. For something like that, you may have a
Portal object that represents a movie.

    Members of the site can contribute new Movies to the database. In
addition, they can contribute corrections and additions to existing movies.
Handling the case of contributing new Movies is pretty straightforward, I
think. But, what if someone just wants to correct the spelling of "David
Hasselhoff" for Star Crash? Or add a mention that Schindler's List won the
Best Director Oscar?

    It may be possible to do this through Versions. But, then you'd probably
run into difficulty if two people change two different properties of a movie
before the change for the first one is reviewed.

    There could be an object that basically contains information about the
change. It could just be a dictionary of "property" and "new value"
pairings. I think Versions would work great, if the whole object wasn't
locked when a property changes...

    Anyhow, this is not something that needs to be in ZPT 1.0. But, it is
something that I think has many applications beyond movies...

Kevin