[Zope-PTK] Internationalization

Lalo Martins lalo@webcom.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:38:05 -0200

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 04:49:32PM +0100, Jochen Haeberle wrote:

> Yes, if you need it, for sure! But Zope has great ways of separating
> content from code and design, so internationalization fits in very
> good, I guess.
> Let's face it, not everyone needs this, so I guess a way to leave the
> standard way of doing pages with dtml and switch to language support
> later would be it. This way you could build your logic in one
> language and keep all the structural, important text in the dtmls and
> add internationailzation later on, when the logic works. And all the
> sites doing only one language won't be bothered.

Actually, the first part of the problem - that must be dealt
with ASAP - is the Catalog.

Currently you may write your content in whatever language you
wish. But not if you use the Catalog; it cannot search text in
languages that use single-byte, >127 characters, or multi-byte.
The ``voodoo kludge'' splitter seems to somehow fix multi-byte
but not single-byte, so you Germans and we Brazilians are still
lost.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----