[Zope-PTK] Internationalization

Lalo Martins zip@eevolute.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:19:08 -0200

[moving the thread to the ZIP list, as we're moving from PTK
i18n to general zope i18n]

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:46:46AM +0100, Joachim Werner wrote:

> I agree. The catalog is first priority. I actually wasn't really aware of that
> problem. Haven't looked into the code yet, but is it THAT difficult to change
> it to support international character sets?

I don't know what exactly is involved. The smart guy from Korea
tried, and reached the conclusion that the problem was in the
splitter (the code that finds word boundaries). His modified
splitter works for Korean text, but not Portuguese (so, I
assume, it won't work for German either).

> As far as I can remember, unicode support is still missing in Python. So that's
> the root of the problem, I guess.

Perhaps. OTOH, aside from the splitter you'd think you're
dealing with raw bytes, not characters... but looks like that
is not the case, because if I ask if 'αιν' == 'αιν' it works.
So it's really a matter of studying the Catalog source code and
finding out the points where it makes assumptions about the
content of the string (char values). The only places where this
is acceptable are the splitter and the point that case-folds
the search (IIRC, that's inside the splitter module too).

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.