[Zope-PTK] Roles, Groups, Security and Group Membership

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Tue, 04 Jul 2000 11:52:22 GMT

On 7/4/00, 1:22:04 PM, Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> wrote regarding
[Zope-PTK] Roles, Groups, Security and Group Membership:

> Monty Taylor wrote:
> > Am I making any sense at all? Does anyone see either a need for doing
> > this or a way to do it? If it requires changes to PTK core, would anyone
> > be interested in those, or should I throw them in my pile of dirty little
> > secrets that no one should really know exist?

> You're making perfect sense and I think it's a Zope problem partly, and
> also a PTK problem.

> Okay, for the PTK bit, it's similar but different. The PTK only has the
> concept of Users as members, each of whom have their own user area.

> I think this is a bad starting point. I reckon groups should be members,
> and groups should have their own areas, perhaps in /Groups/ or some such
> in addition to the stuff in /Members. A User would then be able to edit
> content in their member folder as well as content in the group folders
> of any groups they belong to.

I see what your saying, and agree that this could be a useful solution,
but doesn't this
violate the PTK idea of individual ownership of things? A situation where
the user adds
his own stuff but can make it visible to selective groups of people
... oh, wait. The haze is clearing a little.
If we implemented your group scheme, and then something akin to ACL's or
something, so
that you could publish 'to' a group, not just to the whole world.
Would a first step down this road be to make it possible to publish an
item to
a single other Member?

Monty