[Zope-PTK] content states

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:08:46 +0100

"Phillip J. Eby" wrote:
> >Where can I find out about the SWARM model?

> Aside from the brains of Ty and myself, it's currently documented only in
> scribbled notes and on whiteboards in our offices.  :(

Erk :(

Any chance of digital images of those whiteboards or an IRC session some
time?
I'd ask for docs but that, I feel, might be futile ;-)

> You also forgot branching.

Erk, again.. thanks for the reminder :-)

> Anyway, if you check out the "Chautauqua"
> workflow paper (Chautauqua is a simple Python workflow system), you'll find
> there a model whose expressive power is about the same level as where SWARM
> should end up, although the actual Chautauqua ICN execution model is much
> more complex than what we wound up with for SWARM.

URL?

SWARM sounds good, but then I've only heard a chief protagonists pint of
view ;-)

When will we be able to find out more?

> >Can this kindof workflow be supported with the system you're talking
> >about?
>
> Using "checklist" propertysheets such as I proposed to Steve, certainly.

Great :-)

> The purpose of the SWARM tools will be primarily to provide state-based
> subclassing, and stakeholder event transformations.  These are higher-level
> workflow operations than checklist management, which is why I suggest that
> the PTK is unlikely to need the full power of SWARM for simple content
> reviewing.

I think a lot of people are going to be using PTK for much more than
just simple content managing and reviewing, especially as time goes on.
If Steve's Model can support SWARM or Chautauqau at a later stage then
great, if not, maybe we need to think more?

> However, it might nonetheless find some of those higher-level
> tools useful, because state-based subclassing potentially allows you to do
> things like have different permissions for a method, depending on what
> state the object is in.

Now I _know_ a lot of people will be interested in this ;-)

> And stakeholder event transformations might be
> useful for e-mailing people about things or putting items in some sort of
> "in-box" for them, etc.

Again, I know people jumping up and down and clamoring for this sort of
thing in a PTK-like environment :-)

Hope we can all help each other,

Chris