[Zope-PTK] PTK II

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:16:16 -0500

How about this?  Define _getPortal() on the Portal, and then have a
getPortal() method on portal content objects that acquires and calls
_getPortal()?.  No muss, no fuss (i.e. no changes to anything but the PTK).
 :)  Granted that you still need getPortal...

The other alternative would be to take our __replaceable__ property that we
talked about for overriding class methods in instances, and have another
value of it that meant "don't override even in subobjects".  Singletons
could then set that value, so that once you created such a singleton, you
couldn't block it from being acquired in any sub-object.

This still doesn't fix keyword overrides, I admit.  But that issue could be
dealt with by giving the "_" object a "self" or "this" attribute that
refers to the currently executing method, thus giving a known starting
point.  A tool would then always be accessible as "_.self.toolname".  The
addition of a reference to the current object would be generally useful and
also not break anything.