[Zope-PTK] Refactoring PTK, Redux

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:42:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Steve Alexander wrote:

> Tres Seaver wrote:
> >
> > To that end, one of the first bits of "housekeeping" we would like
> > to do is to refactor some of the weird dependency inversions which
> > grew up between PTKBase and PTKDemo:
> >
> >  * Move all the "concrete" PortalContent objects from PTKBase to
> >    PTKDemo:
> >
> >     - Document
> >
> >     - File
> >
> >     - Image
> >
> >     - Link
> >
> >     - News Item
> >
> >  * Remove Discussable as a base for all PortalContent derivatives,
> >    and register it as a separate base for ZClasses.
>
> This sounds good.
>
> Should we be thinking in terms of a quick fix, or of a larger-scale
> rationalisation of the way that portal content types can be created and
> registered with a portal?

These two fixes are quick fixes, which can be done with (relatvely) no
change to existing portals (user-defined content classes which want to
stay "discussable" will need to add Discussable to their list of base
classes).

A more considered proposal would be welcome :)

> For example, I'd really like to implement portal content types based on
> ZPatterns, and have this as the standard for PTK. However, I know from
> some comments on this list that some people would like to keep PTK
> independent of ZPatterns, and for a variety of very good reasons.

There is already an implicit dependency (via "transitive closure", for
you graph-heads out there) on ZPatterns:

  PTKNG --> LoginManager --> ZPatterns.