[Zope-PTK] Packaging/Installation question

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:33:27 -0400

    While I believe wholeheartedly that having the PTK available in pieces
*and* in a simple, all inclusive package, I think we should be sure there is
an easy way to install it. The separate Membership component is a good
example. It's easy enough to create one tarball that includes all of the PTK
stuff, but the site manager has to do two separate imports (one for
DemoPortal.zexp and one for MembershipZ.zexp).

    Lots of ideas have been tossed about for making simpler installs. Of
course, some of those ideas were rather complex and would take some effort
to implement. Personally, I don't care that much about automatic downloads
or updates or any of that. But, making it so that the product and its
updates can be installed just by untarring it would be a very nice thing.
(And, as more ZClass-based products are released, this will ease the
situation for all of them)

Thoughts?

Kevin
http://www.byproducts.com - Humor and Novelties