[Zope-PTK] Comparision with SquishDot

David Burch burchd@erols.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:11:31 -0400

Steve,

Here's the answers to your questions:

What are you aiming to do?

I am trying to build an online site targeted towards writers, with a daily
writing quote, columns, classified ads (writing markets), and writing links
organized by topic (Yahoo-like).  I would like to build the system so that
members could manage as much of the material as possible.

How many users?
<= 40,000 to start.

Do your users take on different roles?
I envision the columns being posted by members (or myself at first) but
approved by myself before appearing on the website.  As the site grows, I
hope to have different people serving in the approval role for different
sections of the website.

When do you aim to deliver a working version?
This is open-ended.  I currently have a website that serves to advertise
online writing groups.  Basically, the answer is however long it takes.

How critical is the timing of the project?
Not critical.

What is your project team's background in developing software in Python?
What is your project team's background in developing software using
Zope?

The team is me.  And I currently program mainly in Perl, and I'm getting
acquainted in C, TCL, and Vignette StoryServer at work.  I have no
experience in Python or Zope.  My ISP uses a shared version of Zope, so I
have no access to Z Classes.  Both PTK and SquishDot are installed but I
don't know if I can expect them to keep up with new releases.

How do you expect the system's requirements to evolve over the next
three months?

I don't expect to have it done in three months.  I expect small changes
three months after deployed.  Most of the changes I envison have to do with
the member interface in their roles in the website:  Enhancements to posting
columns, new type of material they can post, preference customizations.

Do you need to interface with external systems for authentication?

No.

Do you need to interface with databases other than the ZODB?

No.  My ISP will not support this.

Note:  If this project outgrows its current environment, I plan to move to a
co-located server where I could use Apache and Zope and an external DB if I
needed it (probably MySQL, Oracle I come into some cash).