[Zope-PTK] Comparision with SquishDot

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:38:59 -0400 (EDT)

Steve Alexander writes:
 > Having said that, PTK is much more powerful. There has been talk of
 > making Squishdot into a PTK application at some distant point in the
 > future.

As a heavy user of Squishdot, I've come to the strong suspicion that
the future PTK/Squishdot is just PTK Discussions plus a large dose of
UI gloss.  That's really all the current Squishdot is -- a threaded
discussion forum based on the really old, pre-ZCatalog index stuff
with a lot of UI added on.  Most of the interesting parts of the UI
are in DTML.  Chris Withers has ported Squishdot to the ZCatalog index
system which helps a lot (someday we'll have to take the risk of
upgrading to it -- after it works on Zope 2.2), but I don't really see
the need for Squishdot to have it's own discussion system.  I think
that unifying this would help us all.

Warning, this viewpoint is a bit radical and I haven't heard a lot of
support for it...

Dan Pierson