[Zope-PTK] Getting it all to work ;-)

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:30:20 +0100

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I have been reading some stuff by Alan Holub on OOUI.

I last read his stuff about a year ago, so I may be off-base with what
follows:

I found his ideas ill thought out. He advocated tightly coupling
presentation with business logic by having them both in the same class.
This went along with giving classes methods or inner-class instances
that provide operations far removed from the core role of the class'
instances.
He also seemed to stress inheritance as the best way to reuse code and
designs.

Both experience and academic study make me disagree with those
approaches, and I've developed a scepticism of his writings on
object-oriented software development.

If his writings have moved on from there, or I have misremembered them,
I'd be interested to read some. Any pointers?

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer