[Zope-PTK] PTK questions

John Goerzen jgoerzen@complete.org
06 Mar 2000 18:07:55 -0600

OK, I'm playing with the PTK and here are some questions.

The basic idea is, to have each person create stuff in his own area.
OK, but what about site consistency?  Instead of having a nice
hierarchial URL like /projects/software/linux/freeciv/java.html, now
the Java Freeciv might be at /members/bob/mystuff/fc.html and the
foobarbaz Linux project could be at /members/jane/foo/bar/baz.html.
Now, there is mention of using Zcatalogs to solve this, but no mention
of HOW.  I like having Zope look at what documents and folders are in
the current folder and thus generate an index_html
pseudo-automatically where possible.  Doesn't seem possible here.
Plus it seems that the superuser has to create all the index
documents.  Right?  Unless it's the homepage for a given member.

Next question.  News.  The front page thing is static.  How to fix?
Also, I want people to be able to post comments to news stories, ala
Squishdot.  How?

Next question.  What is the point of a "Link" object?  :-)

There is reference in the docs to Subject.  But the wizard doesn't ask
for Subject.

Finally, I have lots of stuff in plain Zope (DTML Documents, etc).
How can I migrate this over to the portal toolkit?  Can I just plonk
it down in a subfolder there?  If so, will it be properly cataloged
and enjoy the review process?  A lot of this code is DTML and the
Portal toolkit doesn't seem to support DTML in its Documents, so I am
rather puzzled here.

Thanks,
John