[Zope-PTK] PTK work areas

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Mon, 1 May 2000 15:02:22 -0400 (EDT)

As I was thinking of working on the PTK I started wondering just what
needs to be done to it.  Here's my first guess of some of the major
areas, what do others think?

* LoginManager

** Still being actively developed :-)

* Security/Roles, etc.

** http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/ReviewRevamp

* ZTopics

What else needs to be done to integrate ZTopics with PTK?

** How to make ZTopic definition simple enough for PTK members?

** Here's Mike's todo from http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/OnePointOh

*** Add ZTopics to ZopePTK repository.

*** Create PortalContent-wrapped ZTopic.

*** Create ZTopic Wizard...  HAH!

* Discussions

** General status

A quick look at the code reveals some placeholders that need to be
filled in such as Discussable.quotedContents.

** RIPP redesign?

The all in one bag nature of the ZODB sometimes bothers me.  It might
be nice to have an option to store discussion contents elsewhere (see
http://www.zope.org/Members/kedai/ZTD).  If discussion threads were
Racks, this would fall out naturally.

** Squishdot

The more I think about a PTKified Squishdot, the more radical I get
:-).  Most of the Python code in PTK deals with one of two things:

1. The Confera based gut implementation of the discussion group.
This is essentially completely replaced by PTK discussions.

2. The quite minimal support for Authors and Subjects.  These want to
be replaced by Members and ZTopics, respectively.

Once this is done, all that's left is A LOT of dtml magic to get the
look and feel.  Leftboxes, rightboxes, dropshadows, etc.  We've
substantially restructured all of this stuff for our site.

Is PTK/Squishdot a reimplementation of the look and feel wrapper on
top of PTK discussions?  If so, can we generalize all or some of
this into a kind of super chrome and define interfaces to provide
other such wrappers?

* Wizards

** http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/WizardDesignContest

* UI Extensions

Here are a couple of areas where PTK provides a general facility with
only one sample implementation.  DTML/HTML artists could provide some
additional samples.

** Additional Portal Types

** Additional Chrome

* Install

* Docs

* Testing

Note that while some of these areas require Python ability or some
amount of Zope Zen, others do not.  This means that people without
these abilities can still participate :-)