[Zope-PTK] RE: Zope-PTK digest, Vol 1 #120 - 1 msg

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Mon, 8 May 2000 10:01:17 -0400 (EDT)

Chris Withers writes:
 > The current Squishdot roadmap:
 >
 >   0.4.0  (Target: 10 May 2000)
 >
 >     Aim to replace the old indexing with new indexing.
 >
 >       - ZCatalog.
 >
 >       - Fix MIME messages

Obviously vital.  Do you think this will make Squishdot work with Zope
CVS and have a reasonable chance of working with 2.2 when it appears?

 >   0.4.1  (Target: ? 2000)
 >
 >     Allow showError.dtml and showMessage.dtml to use site_header, etc

Useful.

 >   0.4.2  (Target: ? 2000)
 >
 >     Have a 'Plain Text' and 'HTML' Document type.

Depending on when this is likely to happen, it may not be worth
holding off on PTK work for, especially since PTK is also expected to
support multiple doc formats.

 > *** At this point we need to have a serious look at the PTK ***
 >

 >   0.5.0  (Target: ? 2000) (probably change name to SquishdotPTK)
 >
 >     Post-PTK Squishdot, if this needs to exist. What this is we'll only know
 >     after we've had a good look at the PTK, how it works and what it has to
 >     offer.

Work on this can start in parallel with the above if we have someone
to do it.  The main question is when will PTK be stable enough?  The
answer might be pretty soon -- with no full time maintainer, there may
be few revolutionary changes in its immediate future.  Bug fixing and
feature fill in are probably not revolutionary.  On the other hand,
RIPP discussion threads may well be.  If someone is actually going to
do them, that would probably be worth waiting for.

 > Now since 0.5.0 will definitely be PTK-based, I was planning to build a tool of
 > some sort (could be as simple as a DTML method) that would take content from old
 > Squishdot sites and put it into the PTK-based version.

Someone clearly needs to do this, at least for discussion content.
There are several issues:

- Move body content from Squishdot tree to SquishdotPTK
tree. Should be just a straightforward recursive tree walker.

- Replace author and email with a PTK Member reference.  Probably add
an AnonymousCoward default member.  What properties to Members need?
Should there be a separate SquishdotPTK member property sheet?

- Replace subject with a ZTopic reference?  This seems the right way
to go to me.

Will there any need or use for tools to aid in right and left box
conversion?  Of course we don't know the answer until we have some
idea how SquishdotPTK right/left boxes will be structured, but it's
something to think about.

Dan Pierson