[Zope-PTK] User Sources and ZClasses (Building ZPatterns)

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Thu, 18 May 2000 06:26:15 -0300

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 07:41:46PM -0400, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> > - Properties of a user is stored with the user (how?)
>
> You could make a SheetProvider (I'm not up to speed on that yet). Or, you
> could probably just create a ZClass for your users and manage the user's
> properties using standard ZClass mechanisms.

That's exactly what I planned to do, but I stumbled on an
important problem - I can't use the permission framework to
protect the user's password. I want the password to be a
property in a property sheet, but property sheets and
permissions don't work well together in Zope 2.1.x - if I allow
other users to create arbitrary DTML, they can retrieve the
passwords of any user with trivial code
(<dtml-var "Users[username].password">). I posted to zope and
zope-dev about this problem a while ago, to no avail.

Looks like the permission I set inside the property sheet only
affects _editing_ the properties, not reading them.

Of course I could just go ahead and not give users permission
to create arbitrary DTML, but I don't want to have to change
the whole user source (and probably take the site offline)
later when this is fixed.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll  ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
            News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo           mailto:lalo@hackandroll.org
                 pgp key in the personal page

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar