[Zope-PTK] Portal content wherever you want it

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 18:34:31 -0400

    The current PTK setup is good in that it provides a new user a quick and
easy way to get a complete Portal up and running. However, the way things
are set up now seems a little less ideal for Zope users who want to
integrate (some) PTK features into their existing sites.

    A few days back, I asked if we really need to have a "Portal" object.
I'd like to see what people think about splitting things up a bit.
Obviously, I can make my own Product and not interfere with everyone else,
but I think that I'm not the only one who would like things a little more
componentized. I still think it would be good to also offer the
plug-and-play packaging that exists now.

    My current thinking is that we can create a simple PortalReview object.
This object contains the review policies and notification information, as
well as the name of the Catalog that PortalContent should go in. This could
also offer the pending items pages. Then, just create a getPortal
PythonMethod that looks like this:

def getPortal(self):
  return self.YourPortalReviewObj

    Assuming we make the various PortalContent objects (Document, Link,
etc.) available throughout, this is all you need to get PortalContent up and
running wherever you want to add it.

    This strips out the Membership stuff that exists in the current
PortalObject, which is probably a good thing. I think people's membership
requirements will vary a lot. Maybe the canned membership stuff can be part
of another component.

    What do you all think? Is it better for everything to be under the
PortalObject umbrella, or is it better to set things up in separate
components?

Kevin
http://www.byproducts.com - Humor and Novelties