[Zope-PTK] "score" or "sortOrder" for PortalContent?

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 17:52:53 -0400 (EDT)

After reading the previous posts in this thread, I think that a
standard protocol for getting sort order is useful.  However, I don't
think we know enough (or have enough common goals?) to standardize
anything about how it is computed.

For example, we (http://control.com/) are a Squishdot site and very
much plan to implement a Slashdot system of dynamic reader moderation
in the future.  This implies that we need to store and update data for
each reply and each member (RIPP looks very attractive here).  For
some other types of forums I can see good use for a weighted voting
method of scoring with different community members having different
weights.

So, if 'score' is seen as a method with an arbitrary definition I'm
probably for it.  If it's seen as a slot holding a single number, I'm
unconvinced.

Dan Pierson