[Zope-PTK] PTK, LoginManager and user maintenance

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 14:26:49 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan L. Pierson" <dan@sol.control.com>
To: "Phillip J. Eby" <pje@telecommunity.com>
Cc: <zope-ptk@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK, LoginManager and user maintenance

> Clearly one of two things needs to be done:
>
> 1. PTK is changed to always use LoginManager and all the other options
> are wrapped as UserSources.
>
> 2. PTK grows a user folder abstraction that hides user folder
> differences from the main portal code.  The PTK creation wizard then
> calls the user folder abstraction with appropriate arguments.  This
> sounds like replicating a bunch of stuff that LoginManager already
> does, but I don't know if others would find it acceptable to make PTK
> require LoginManager quite yet.

IMHO, people should be able to add "Membership" as a feature to any site. I
could see people wanting this, independent of any other PTK pieces. I think
the "Membership" component can be designed to only use LoginManager.

In general, I don't think the parts of the PTK care where member objects are
coming from (and they shouldn't). Applications built on top of Zope
(including the parts of the PTK) automatically know who the user is and what
roles they possess, and that should be generally sufficient.

I'm not sure what the best way is to create an easily plugged in Membership
system that automatically creates a LoginManager with the appropriate user
management functions. That's something to think about... But, once we figure
that out, then the Portal can just create one of those when it is
instantiated.

Kevin