[Zope-PTK] Channels in PTK

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:39:22 -0500

Tiago Antão wrote:

> Hi!
>
>   I've been told, on #zope IRC that you would be the best person to talk
> to about the PTK Channel feature.

I'm afraid that the work "channel" is a bit overloaded:  I know of at
least two different proposed PTK features which have been called
"channels":

 * Hierarchical categories (e.g., "topics"), which contain no content
   but list objects which match their query spec.  This feature was
   part of the original PTK vision;  see:

    http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/PTK.html (look for 'Reviewer Adds
Topic'

 * A 'portal_events' object which would serve as a central dispatcher
   of various types of event notification (e.g., "document added",
   "news item published", etc.)  This feature is proposed at:

    http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/PortalEventsToolProposal

>   AFAIK the channel feature is not yet implemented. If not, will it be
> soon?

To which kind of channel do you refer?  I believe that the next PTK
release will have a limited form of "topics" (I have a simple form
working
now);  an event channel is a bit further out.

>   We're developing a portal where the concept of "Channel" is an absolute
> must. We were thinking in developing something very similar to what
> appears documented in the PTK Guide, just not inside PTK. But, if there is
> interest on your part, we could put our effort towards implementing
> channels directly inside PTK. Of course, we would need some orientation
> and guiding on this, but we would obviously give the code away to be
> included in PTK.

I would be delighted to have your help on either type of channel!
Please let me know what I can do to help you.