[Zope-PTK] FW: [Zope-PTK] PTK install Gottcha

Andy Dawkins andyd@nipltd.com
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:20:06 +0100

Just realised this was sent to me and not the list.

-Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: Tres Seaver [mailto:tseaver@palladion.com]
Sent: 06 September 2000 04:53
To: Andy Dawkins
Subject: Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK install Gottcha

Andy Dawkins wrote:

> Several People (including myself and ChrisW) have come across problems
> installing the latest CVS checkout of the PTK.
>
> There have been a number of different errors which seem to be fixed if you
> install the PTK in this following order.
>
> * Start Zope
> * Go to the Control_Panel/Products
> * Remove DemoPortal (If it exists)
> * Remove Wizard (If it exists)
> * Remove PTKBase (If it exists)
> * Remove PTKDemo (If it exists)
> * Remove ZCallable (If it exists)
> * Checkout the latest CVS version of PTKDemo, PTKBase and ZCallable
> * Copy PTKDemo, PTKBase and ZCallable to your zope/lib/python/Products/
> directory
> * Copy DemoPortal.zexp and Wizard.zexp from
zope/lib/python/Products/PTKDemo
> to /zope/import
> * Back in the Zope Control_Panel/Prodcuts import DemoPortal.zexp and
> Wizard.zexp
> * Restart Zope
>
> As well as telling everyone a method that seems to work for me, I am
> interested to know why it has to be done this way.
>
> This issue has tormented several people including Chris and myself.  Can
we
> have it fixed please?

Sigh.  Some of this problem is inherent in the fact that the PTK (really,
the sample implementation) is an amphibious beast:  it resides partly on
the filesystem, and partly as "through-the-web" content in the ZODB.  I
*intended* that the DemoPortal and Wizard product directories (created
from the "Distribution" tab of the TTW products) would be "fetchable"
and "installable" from CVS in the same way as the "filesystem" products
(PTKBase, PTKDeom, ZCallable);  at the moment, the distribution tab
products don't seem to work properly, at least not on all systems (I
tested before checking in on my RH 6.2 Linux box, where all was well;
on my NT box, a fresh checkout bombs out with a GPF!?)

Having to import the DemoPortal and Wizard export files won't go away
until we get a handle on a better mechanism for distributing the
"through-the-web" stuff;  in the meanwhile, I guess I'd better remove
the directory-based products for them from CVS, and revert the installation
instructions to indicate that import is required.

> Cheers
> -Andy
>
> P.S. This method does not fix my Unauthorised issue with
> discussion_thread_view but I have been able to reproduce the error on
> several machines using this method to install the PTK.

Please enter a Tracker issue on this -- I can repro it, but
I likely won't remember to in the morning.

  http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/Tracker

Tres Seaver                          tseaver@digicool.com
Digital Creations   "Zope Dealers"   http://www.zope.org