[Zope-PTK] Discussion Problems with PTK

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:04:46 -0400 (EDT)

Shane Hathaway writes:
 > Chris Withers wrote:
 > > I saw the fix for Discussions.py get checked in, but has the
 > > skip_unauthorized fix been checked in yet?
 >
 > Nope, I wanted to get a reaction first.

It's needed.  You're right that some sites will want private
discussions as well as public ones -- some may even want to mix public
and private threads (even though the idea makes me shudder :-)).  It's
better to not show things the user can't see than to generate an
error.

The alternative would be to ensure that everything that looks as
discussion threads checks for permissions first and displays a site
specific error message.  That might work if you don't allow mixed
public/private discussions, but it would involve extra work and chance
for error.  It would also raise the quite justifiable user question:
"Why the #%*&! are you showing me this if I can't look at it?".