[Zope-CMF] CMF and Z39.50 protocol

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:49:56 -0700

Norman Khine wrote:

> This is very interesting, there is not a lot of movement from CMF on this
> subject, is there a particular reason for this, apart from the obvious once,
> time.

Well, developers tend to do work that gets them the biggest
result for a given anount of work. Z39.50 is not a very
popular protocol, compared with, say, HTTP. Therefore there
is less incentive to work on it. In contrast, XML-RPC, which
uses HTTP as it's transport layer, is very popular, so more
work is being done on it.

There are, however, a lot of interesting data resources that
are only accessible through a Z39.50 interface, so I expect
that sooner or later this work will get done by someone.

> I'll try this evening to set up the the server for FreeBSD and then link
> this to MySQL from which maybe one can write a client for zope?!?

Umm, I'm not sure what you mean here. Zope can integrate
with a relational DB such as MySQL rather easily, but how
are you going to write a Z39.50 client from MySQL? Or were
you referring to the Zope/MySQL combination?

Cheers,

Michael Bernstein.