[Zope-CMF] Grouping Members ??

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:44:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Johan Carlsson wrote:

> > I believe you can get a similar effect by assigning many users a role.
> > This allows you to achieve the effect that you are looking for.
>
> IMHO, This isn't flexible enought.
> I would like to assign special roles with in a group, for instance
> have someone having a Manager role within the group.
> You do this in Zope by having a seperate acl_folder but the
> you would tie that group to a specific branch. Also the
> acl_folder would have to be a proxy for a centralized acl_folder
> if you want to manage all users form the same source.

I'm a bit vague about the issues here, but it sounds like you could get
what you want with using local roles.  (I *don't* think using a separate
acl_users folder is what you want - it usually isn't).

With local roles, you essentially associate users within a context with
the permissions accorded to a role.  Ie, users are members of the role's
group within the context where the local role's apply.

> The thing is that groups should connect user together with different
> roles (and in turn diffrent permissions), not connect users together
> to a fixed set of set of permissions.

I think local roles enables you to connect users together with different
roles.  How does it not do what you want?

> Another problem with using roles as groups is that in a large
> community with allot of groups you would have roles polution
> making the current permission UI virtualy unmanagable.
> Sticking to a small set of roles   and using local_roles and
> local_groups would avoid that problem.

Creation of user defined roles in particular contexts helps with that -
but the current permission UI is pretty darn bad.

Ken Manheimer
klm@digicool.com